I am taking a Church History class this semester, and I chose to go to the Greek Orthodox Church for my field Trip. The teacher, his wife and daughter, and several other students went too. The Church was in Lexington, about an hour and a half away from us. When we got there, the first thing that greeted us when we walked in was the smell of incense. They were still having morning prayers. When the "Divine Liturgy" started, a lot of people came, many of them Arab nationality. There were all sorts of icons- pictures of Bible Characters, patriarchs, and saints on the walls. It was a very beautiful church, and I got the feeling of being surrounded by Christianity. The service lasted a very long time, and for a lot of it we were standing up. We were not allowed to take communion, because only Greek Orthodox can do that. But we were given fellowship bread to eat. It was really good. After the service, they had a coffee time in the basement. A lot of the congregation fellowshipped with one another. They had really good snacks. We ate our sack lunches, and went back up and the priest, Father Galloway, talked to us awhile about Orthodox Christianity. I tell you, a lot of their beliefs are a lot better than Catholic. I would much rather be Greek Orthodox!!! My family came out of the Catholic Church, so I have been to some masses. I like Orthodox better! It was a really fun experience!
Monday, October 26, 2009
Greek Orthodox Church!
I am taking a Church History class this semester, and I chose to go to the Greek Orthodox Church for my field Trip. The teacher, his wife and daughter, and several other students went too. The Church was in Lexington, about an hour and a half away from us. When we got there, the first thing that greeted us when we walked in was the smell of incense. They were still having morning prayers. When the "Divine Liturgy" started, a lot of people came, many of them Arab nationality. There were all sorts of icons- pictures of Bible Characters, patriarchs, and saints on the walls. It was a very beautiful church, and I got the feeling of being surrounded by Christianity. The service lasted a very long time, and for a lot of it we were standing up. We were not allowed to take communion, because only Greek Orthodox can do that. But we were given fellowship bread to eat. It was really good. After the service, they had a coffee time in the basement. A lot of the congregation fellowshipped with one another. They had really good snacks. We ate our sack lunches, and went back up and the priest, Father Galloway, talked to us awhile about Orthodox Christianity. I tell you, a lot of their beliefs are a lot better than Catholic. I would much rather be Greek Orthodox!!! My family came out of the Catholic Church, so I have been to some masses. I like Orthodox better! It was a really fun experience!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



wow - very neat!
ReplyDelete